Monday, September 12, 2011

long four day weekend adventure

So little did I know that Teacher's day was going to be Saturday and that there was a national holiday on Monday, so that meant a four day weekend!

All I wanted to do this weekend was sleep, sleep sounded better than anything else. I think my body finally finished its transition to China time...but that was hard to get.

my adventure started friday with me asking at work if someone could take me to get a massage....little did I know that meant going to a resort place, getting a full body and a foot massage...sounds great? not so great when its 9pm and you do not get home till 1:30 am it was a rough night and it did not help that I was meeting friends at 9 am to go to a local theme park! The theme park is called Happy Valley where you have "Happy Times"



Happy Valley was fun but exhausting..I went with Jessica and our friend from work and luckily I did not feel bad for being soooooo tired, they were both the same! so we did not go on many rides, but enjoyed lunch and walking around talking. I really am exciting to be spending more time with our friend and the opportunities that are being opened up right now!

This picture is of us being dressed up in traditional clothing :P

after happy valley we walked around some and headed back to my apartment where I showed them my area and took them to the delicious Vietnamese food place near my house, seriously delicious and yes I was guilty of eating there 5 times in a week and a half...I don't plan on slowing down either, its delicious! if any of you visit, I will be taking you there!

Sunday, Jessica and I tutored 6 four year olds and whoa was that exciting, they are so cute and it will definitely make me look forward to Sundays! in love with them all already lol and then we were off to find the place we go to on Sundays it was our first time trying to get there by ourselves and we had no luck and got lost! so we will attempt next weekend to find it, wish us luck! we ended up going to a book store and I went for some Pizza Hut I was craving it and Dairy Queen....I know you can all be upset I went for western food, but I wanted it!

Sunday night I got to tutor two kids that are amazing...They are from two families and I love them already, I really enjoy these families and hope to hang out with them more, they already want to take me hiking in a couple weekends!! There is a lot of great talks with them and the kids are awesome, it really is amazing. I want to continue to tutor and hang out with them as much as I can this year.


Monday i got to walk around and see some people lighting lanterns and just enjoying family time, with the celebration of the mid-autumn festival, it made me miss home a lot :/ but I got to Skype people at home and that was really great, its nice to get in contact with people about once a week, it really helps me get through the weeks.

Here is a picture of the city and some lanterns in the background!



this coming weekend I get to go to Hong Kong to visit my favorite people from Nepal and I am so excited so please pray for safe travels there and that we have an amazing conversation and just have fun with the time we get to spend together!

everything is going well, classes are busy, tutoring is busy...I am loving the kids, they get loud sometimes but that is ok, it is expected they are kiddos. They all like me or at least that is what the teachers are telling me :)

I like where I am working, still working on my hours and how much is expected of me to just sit in the office, because right now I sit in the office 5 hours before I do anything and that is really taking a lot out of me and I have things to do but if it is expected for me to do later things, I would like to just be able to come in a little later then 7:30....

I am doing well, missing home though but that is ok and not expecting it to go away anytime soon. I miss you all and wish you were here and wish that I was there, I thank everyone for the emails and comments and everything you have been giving me to help me do a better job here. so encouraging and I really enjoy it. I love you guys.

Highs:
some talks I had with people I am meeting here
He is showing me so much more every day and I love it
Skyping with some friends back home

Lows:
Missing everyone back home
being tired



Prayer Requests:
That I can figure out my schedule
I can be the light to the people who are asking questions
I stay in the word and focused on Him
that I continue to do my best to glorify him

I love you all and miss you terribly

Ashley

2 comments:

  1. I want to put a lantern up in the sky...maybe I'll do that in Orange County and start a trend!

    Thanks for posting the blog, love hearing all of the stories about the people you're meeting and connecting with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to light at least 5 lanterns in Orange County...I full support that decision!

    ReplyDelete