Tuesday, October 11, 2011

traveling through Guangxi

I just got back from traveling a week through Guangxi Province, a beautiful place. I set off on a Saturday night with my two friends Christine and Jessica for an 11 hour bus ride. A sleeper bus to be exact, supposed to be much more comfortable-granted it was, but I still got claustrophobic. We arrived at 7:30 in the morning to a beautiful little city where we found Fish Mountain

Now this mountain seemed like it would be the best place to brush our teeth, wash our faces and get ready for the day-since there were no other places to do it after an 11 hour bus ride. We waited about an hour before we were met up with some friends we know in town. We got into a small van, not realizing it would be a 5 hour drive...lets say I slept the whole way to our location. But we ended up going to Sanjiang which is a beautiful area, no sounds of honking, traffic, or people yelling. It was a certain peace- a peace I had been searching for these last few weeks. I got to see mountains and green grass and even rain that felt fresh and re-energized me for the adventures of the week to come. I woke up Monday and had a good me and Him sesh that was exactly what I needed, journaled and really thought about what my purpose is here. I took a picture of the view from the balcony as I did this, it was too beautiful to not share!

Our adventure ended there with street music and a local ethnic group festival. I enjoyed it all and was excited to where I might be going next! We were headed to Wesley's hometown in Ma Ping. We were met with rain, and lots of it and the people were amazing. We got to meet his parents, grandma and uncle and get to spend a couple meals with them. It was nice to really see how one lives in the China Country side. I loved it and love that family, they will always hold a place in my heart.

Top: Wesley, Christine, Wesley's mom, Wesley's Dad, Wesley's Brother and me!
Bottom: Jessica, Wesley's grandma, and Great Uncle


I was also reunited with my beloved game of Mahjong!!!! It had been a month and a half since I had played...I am so glad I got my fix!

I was known in this small town (one street) as the American who knows how to play Mahjong and knows how to win. I instantly became a celebrity and am proud of it! :D

We were in Guilin after that where I got sick and just stayed in the hostel and walked around when I could. I really loved the area and it was beautiful, just very cold and rainy! My favorite Hostel now is the Wada Hostel. They had delicious local tea, and dvd players in the room to keep my sick self occupied. Definitely a win and I had fun talking to the staff and people staying there. Great Lonely Planet pick!


Overall a great trip and a great experience to get to go home and experience a Chinese family. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it even with being sick and catching a cold! I give Guilin, Ma Ping and San Jiang all an A! I have been really blessed with the people I have and continue to meet here. I can't wait for the next adventure He leads me on!


Highs:
Unforgettable trip.
Rain.
Good tea.
Christine being here!

Lows:
having a cold
exhausted


Prayer requests:
Just enough strength to get through this 7 day work week.
That the cold goes away and that I am back to normal health.
That I start getting better sleep, not feeling rested when I wake up.

I love you all and I am praying for you!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment