Sunday, November 13, 2011

10 things I have learned

As I sit here I write to you angry, exhausted and busy...I am drained. I took time this weekend to spend time in my room, sleeping, watching movies and relaxing. I thought I could be prepared for the busy week ahead, but no sleep continued. Here I get made fun of because I like to go to bed at 9--sleep is important to me. I have come to find in my almost three months here that people don't go to sleep till 12 and wake up at 6, how do they do it? I was told its because they drink so much tea...I still don't get how they are not exhausted.

I try and keep up with everyone and go to the activities the teachers want me to go to, but lately it has been draining me more and more. I kept thinking what and why am I getting so drained. I have come to the conclusion that it is hard when you are not properly "fed" I miss going to my favorite place on Sundays...I miss the music...I miss listening...I miss being renewed. It has been so hard to not have that, and I look back and see how I would take it all for granted and how I wish I could find that strong community here. It is what I am seeking. I struggle daily, exhausted I wake up, exhausted I fall asleep. I continue to stay strong but there are days like today where it just kind of sucks...

I was walking home last night and thought what are the top ten things I have learned since being here..good and bad..so I am going to share them with you:

1. Mandarin Chinese is not as hard as you think, speaking is hard but understanding..not so bad.
2. I can cross the street with no fear and at any time, even when there is a car driving really fast towards me...sometimes you just got to do it or you will never make it to the other side. (something I will miss when I am stateside again)
3. Teaching is really hard...all you teachers I know out there...I LOVE YOU and am SO proud of you! Keep up the good work, it is a hard thing to do.
4. Being late is on time
5. People will stare at you no matter where you are, so just stare back, maybe it will spark a conversation :)
6. I like noodles way more than I thought...where I live they eat lots of rice, I am told daily I live in the wrong part of China...oops :/
7. It is fun living alone, but I miss my roommates from Parkwood in Irvine.
8. The importance of still being actively involved in family and friends lives as much as I can.
9. Time differences suck as do 11,000 miles of distance between you and the people you love.
10. Making contacts is one of the most important things I have done here and have been able to share a lot that way...its been amazing!


I hope this post is not seen as depressing--that is not what I intended it to be. I wanted to share what I have been thinking as well as what I have been up to.

I got to see Mary again in Hong Kong and that was really really good for me, talking and just having fun for one solid night was just what the doctor ordered. I enjoy getting to talk to my friends either through Skype or in person..I consider Skype in person now and treat the person like they are standing in the room with me. But I forget how important friendships are to me, I put you guys on a high pedestal and sometimes I am too loyal but I would do anything for any of you and I hope you know that and I am proud to call you all my friends.

This week I have some meetings planned for future jobs, activities and life things. Please keep me in your prayers that things go well and that He is guiding me in the direction He wants me to go in. Also pray that myself and the other people I know living abroad can find peace in not being home as the holidays start to come...I know a lot of us that talk are having a hard time not going to be home for thanksgiving...so prayers would be great!!

Highs:
Hong Kong to see Mary
Getting to sleep in this weekend
My apartment is much cleaner

Lows:
exhausted
Missing family and friends a lot right now


with love,

Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Miss and love you Ashley, hope you are doing well.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley....
    Love reading your blogs ~ happy or not so happy!~ You are in my prayers. Awed that you are doing something so amazing, such a wonderful opportunity for you. Know that you are thought of all the time and wishes sent that you may relax and sleep! (can you get some sleepytime tea ~ it works wonders!) Take care of yourself....
    Dawn Newton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you able to watch a service online? I know it is not the same as being there, but it may help. There are so many great ministries with live web and archived services. Let me know if you are interested.
    I love you,
    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete