Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Have no fear of the unknown

Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that He is with you. In all things. Some words to live by--realize its all you can do. Everyday I ask myself how did I end up in China--what is going on. I then remember the constant late night talks with my friends, aching to be abroad again, falling in love with the places and people I had met. The way I have impacted these lives, the joy they get from a simple hello, the bond that is formed when you help someone--His joy in all I do. I have been thinking of ways to improve what I am doing, getting more involved, in all I do. I know that one year in China will benefit the people here and if I stay longer it will continue the good. I have made life long friends here and I have made life long friends in other countries, the bond of a friendship formed over traveling, nothing compares to that. So how does one feed the love for travel and the love of helping others?

I have been thinking of ways to better my time here, ways to impact these people more. I have started Chinese lessons, I have been working on communicating with the people that can't understand me. I even frequent the same restaurants or milk tea shops to get to know the employees! I want to change the lives of everyone I talk to. I know that this is a hard thing to do but I want to at least bring a smile to their faces--as they watch me speak horrible chinese.

I have had a chance to even go abroad again while here, the travel bug has not been tamed and I have my next adventure ready! I will be going back to India for two weeks and then to Vietnam for three weeks. My excitement level is through the roof, to go back to the first country that stole my heart and to have my heart stolen by a new one. I am excited to bring joy and find joy in these countries and find those life-long friendships with the people I meet. Most people ask me "aren't you scared to go to these countries?" my answer is simple, what fear does there need to be when I have the best intentions and that I have Him by my side. I know to be safe, don't think I am not safe, but I love traveling and I want to see this world...all of it. Last time I checked I still had a lot of countries to visit :)

I can't wait to go and walk up to the doors I once saw in India like this one at Shanti Dan.

and what is most exciting is going to see a roommate from college and see what she is doing in Vietnam and getting to do some volunteer work with her! We had dreams about seeing each other in our new "homes" and it is becoming a reality. Who would think that one of my closest friends would end up in South Asia too. I am full of joy by the experiences I have had here and so excited about what is going to happen.

I am eager to see what He has in store for me while I travel. To see something I once did and how it has changed and how it will impact me the second time around. I thought to myself I could go back home to the states, but at the moment I won't know where home will be...I can't travel to Southern California and my parents already be moved and not see them or go to Washington and not visit my friends down in California. I am trying this whole Big Kid Life out for this year, a time to get a way and to figure me out. My friend told me I would probably not be completely satisfied if I went back to the states and encouraged me to travel...so that is my intentions.

I don't know what is going to happen for me here in China, where I will be next year. Maybe my current school, maybe not. I don't know what the plans are, they are unknown...all I can do is trust and pray and that I will do my best in whatever obstacles happen and be joyful in all things.

I just want to leave you, the reader with something. I encourage you to Walk into the unknown right now, take the step you have been avoiding and see what happens...it's scary but amazing all at the same time.

With love,

Ashley


Highs:
just everything feeling good right now
Getting to spend last weakened in Hong Kong and meet some amazing people and get to have amazing talks.
My apartment is getting some style :) (pics to come soon)

Lows:
Exhaustion...something about China just makes me tired!
figuring out lesson plans...getting stuck in HK for 4 days without a computer really through my week off.
Christine being gone this week back in the states for a family thing. Please pray for her and her family

No comments:

Post a Comment