Friday, November 25, 2011

Tis the season

Christmas is my favorite holiday, the one I look forward to 365 days a year. The minute I can put everything else away and bring out the Christmas decorations. I spend the day after Thanksgiving every year putting up Christmas lights. This is the first year I am not out in my front yard shocking myself with broken light bulbs and screaming or running around on the roof trying to get the lights to stay up--while running out of staples.

I sit in the office at work writing you a blog while laughing to myself at all the dumb moments I had growing up that involved Christmas. How can one not get excited about this season?! The weather is cooler, you can sit by the fireplace, you can read great books and drink hot chocolate. (Something I wish I could do right now but it is still hot here and I have no fireplace so I must adjust!) Everything about this holiday is peaceful, yes there is crazy shopping involved but its gifts for people you love, there is no stress when you are buying for people you love--they either love it or they don't and hopefully the just pretend if they don't.

All of this is great but I can't help but be reminded that HE is the reason for the season. Everyone gets absorbed into the shopping and the presents and they forget why we are celebrating this. So excited to get to see a different culture experiences during this holiday, one that doesn't think the same way as I do. It will probably be a struggle but it will be a very exciting adventure that I am glad I get to witness.

I am thankful for so much and yet sometimes I get this mind set of everything is "not good enough" how am I to judge if it is good enough or not? He gives us just what we need, good or bad. We sit and wonder why things are too hard, but really nothing is too hard--just have to be strong enough to overcome it. Overcome your fears this season, don't be afraid to press on in the hard stuff right now--its going to be amazing on the other side.

I came to write a blog about music and started talking about other things! fail. I want to just give a music review and think that everyone should listen to A Very She & Him Christmas
It is top notch and definitely making it seem like it is the holidays. Zooey Deschanel's voice just brings Christmas alive in her songs! I love the deep, rustic, old feeling the songs have and you can't beat the harmony. Of course I have about 1,000 other songs on this playlist but theirs is standing out. So everyone should check it out :D

So I leave you with some things to think about. What is stopping you from doing what you love this season? How can you overcome the hardships that are placed in front of you? How are you going to change things to make everything focused on Him. I dare you to take the leap you have been too scared about taking.

Remember to smile and share His love this season. Be a light.


Highs:
skyping into the Thanksgiving dinners back home
good talks with friends back home
having a Thanksgiving meal!

Lows:
Homesickness was pretty bad this week
getting over some kind of bug
my moms friend passed away today, it definitely upset me. RIP Kathleen. you will be missed.


Prayer requests:
That my parents can adjust with my dad moving soon.
That you are all at peace this holiday season and enjoy the time with your loved ones, never take it for granted.
That I can get through this holiday season and not be too upset or depressed over it. 2 holidays down 1 more to go.

with love,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment