Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas- China edition 2011

Christmas season has come and man did it go by quickly. I thought my homesickness would get really bad the day of Christmas-- I was wrong. I received a lot of presents and cards in the mail! Shout out to my parentals and family, The Wilker family, the Menke family, the Moreno family and to grandma turner! I appreciate it and I know there are still some more coming, so if you are not on the list...just means I did not receive it yet! It made Christmas a lot better and it was fun to open up all the gifts! I have been so blessed by emails, comments, gifts, cards. So blessed. Thank you.

The true homesickness did not come until after my Christmas technically ended and everyone back home had started the day. I was up pretty much the whole night talking to people and really bummed that I was not home. I eventually got over it, but it didn't help that it was a rough night.

Our Christmas break started on Thursday night celebrating our friend Elsa's 23rd birthday, with work people. We made her bread and cheese "grilled cheese" it is her favorite now. I introduced her to it and sometimes regret--how many times she wants to eat it. haha but here is a pic of all of us. We made christmas cards and had a good night laughing!



On Friday being Christmas day at school. They had Christine dress up as santa and give out candy to all the kids. It was hilarious! here is a photo!


On Christmas Eve, I got to sleep in a bit which was so nice and needed. Christine and I went to take some of our coworkers kids and kids I teach, ice skating! it was so much fun and was exciting for everyone! We ice skated for around 3 hours and then we went and made Christmas cards with some of the kids for an hour, it was a great way to spend Christmas eve!!

Christine and I then headed out for Christmas dinner at the Futian Kitcken (where we had thanksgiving dinner) we were not let down! I would even say this was better than the thanksgiving dinner! it was so good!

after dinner we headed down to Lohu where you can go shopping and barter like crazy, so we started some really, super late shopping for the people at work. We walked away with some gifts for ourselves and sort of slacked on gifts for others, but it got done! I got new Toms and sunglasses--perfect for traveling :P

Christmas day was a really good day, I woke up super early and skyped with my mom and sister and opened up all my presents--which was fun and nice. I got some new clothes which were needed pretty badly!! Woke up pretty late again, I felt like a sleep deprived person--it was needed badly.

Jessica, Christine and Elsa came over and we made Broccoli Cheddar soup and watched Home alone! it turned out fantastic and it was fun watching the movie on Christmas day! We spent the day laughing and just enjoying each others company and giving presents to each other. Later that night we went down to church and got to see Jessica who was one of the main stars! she sang hark the harold angel's sing and it was fantastic! she did a really good job and I was super proud of her!!

Here is a link to the Facebook video of her singing!!

it didn't help that she had to wear this epic outfit! I laughed when I first saw it but it fit so well! It was a great show...we saw the beginning and the birth, they did a wonderful job. I liked that everything was in Chinese and I still knew what was happening and was able to figure out what they were saying, with the small, small amount of Chinese I know. I really enjoyed it and the conversations that followed with the people we went with. These last 2 weeks or so have been what I thought was going to happen while here. It has been a great feeling and it just feels really right. I hope the questions and excitement stay!

I have had the last two days off and it has been wonderful! doing my own thing at my own time and not being sick. Can't go wrong there! it was a much needed break. I don't think you all realize how spoiled we are in America with break time for Thanksgiving and then Christmas...these kids go straight till mid January. It is SO exhausting!

I leave for my winter holiday soon and will have about a month of traveling and then my friend comes to visit. I am really looking forward to all of this time off from work! It is needed and I hope I can keep away the sickness that I keep getting, stays away. It just has all been pretty epic lately and I hope it continues. The packing has begun!

Highs:
the talks that came with the service
Spending the holiday with friends
getting to Skype home
the gifts I have received

Lows:
homesickness that came with the holiday

Prayer requests:
the people I was able to talk to that they keep asking questions!
packing goes smoothly and that I don't forget anything!
Restful nights of sleep these next few days


with love,

Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Hehehe, nice story. I regret I never tried your grilled cheese Elsa is aditcted to. I would have liked that Santa Chris had brought something for me :(, but I think you at least recorded Jessica's singing; share it!
    Enjoy your holidays!
    JUAN

    ReplyDelete